Advocate & Solicitor | Admitted as an advocate and solicitor: 05/10/2000
BC ID BC/A/1092 | LPA Regulated
AZRIL MOHD AMIN was admitted to the Malaysian Bar as an advocate and solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2000 and has been practising law ever since.
He is a Panel Member of the Islamic Consultative Council (2016-2018) chaired by H.E the Deputy Prime Minister, Malaysia and chairman of Human Rights Cluster of Majlis Amal Islami (under the Islamic Da’wah Foundation of Malaysia) since 2014 and chairman of Initiatives for Human in Asia (IHRA) which he co-founded in 2016.
He has over a decade of experience in law and human rights for the Asia-Pacific region. His involvement with civil societies accelerated in 2013 when he founded and led the MuslimUPRo delegation, a coalition of 16 major Islamic Civil Society Organisations (ICSOs), to Malaysia’s 2nd Universal Periodic Review at the 25th session of the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva, Switzerland.
In 2014, he founded and became the chief executive of CENTHRA (Centre for Human Rights Research and Advocacy) a full-fledged research and advocacy outfit focusing on issues of Islam and Human Rights. He had since spent much of his time managing projects and establishing triadic relationships for CENTHRA, domestically and internationally.
He had spoken at several international conferences, notably at the Reykjavik Roundtable on Human Rights 2016 on the theme “Democratic Accountability, State Sovereignty, and International Governance” (27-29 April 2016), and One Day Conference: Myanmar’s Democratic Transition and the Rohingya Persecution hosted by The South Asia Research Cluster (SARC) (11 May 2016) at Oxford University, UK and as a Malaysian government representative at the High-Level Roundtable on Freedom of Religion or Belief, held in conjunction with the Commowealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) at Lambeth Palace, London UK from 17-18 April 2018.
In March 2017, he led a 6-member delegation of investigative lawyers to present expert views at the Permanent Peoples’ Tribunal (PPT) on Genocide Against Rohingya, Kachin and other minorities held at the University of Queen Mary, London (6-7 March 2017) and undertook the role of deputy prosecutor at the PPT concluding session held at University of Malaya’s Faculty of Law in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (18-22 September 2017).
In November 2017, he co-founded and now co-chairs the Malaysian Alliance of Civil Society Organisations in the United Nations Human Rights Council’s Universal Periodic Review Process (UPR) or MACSA, a coalition of 48 civil society organisations with the specific aim and object to investigate, as well as advocate, human rights issues in Malaysia for the UPR Process.
Apart from his passion in human rights, he is an avid reader and is a lifelong learner of Islamic Jurisprudence. Azril believes that every human deserves to live with dignity and mutual respect. He has written not less than 20 articles on various human rights issues and perspectives based on equitable principles.
Qualifications/ Professional affiliations
- Post-Graduate Training in Economic, Social & Cultural Rights – Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights, The Graduate Institute Geneva & Faculte De Droit, Université de Genève (2014);
- Procedural Training – Universal Periodic Review Mechanism by the Geneva International Centre for Justice, Geneva, Switzerland (2014);
- Associate, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London, United Kingdom (since 2013) (Membership No. 30236);
- Accredited Mediator, having successfully completed the relevant approved qualification with The Accord Group, Sydney, Australia (2013);
- Recipient of the Chevening Scholarship whilst reading MA in Human Rights at the Institute of Commonwealth Studies, University of London (2004-2005);
- Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur (Date of Admission: 5th Oct. 2000) (Malaysian Bar Membership No. BC/A/1092);
- Legum Baccalaureus (LL.B) (with Honors), Ahmad Ibrahim Kuliyyah of Laws, International Islāmic University Malaysia (1999).
Ahli Mangku Negara (AMN) (Member of the Order of the Defender of the Realm) by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong al-Wathiqu Billah Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin Ibni Al- Marhum Sultan Mahmud Al-Muktafi Billah Shah, in conjunction with his majesty’s official birthday on 4th of June 2011;