AZRIL MOHD AMIN
Advocate & Solicitor | Admitted as an advocate and solicitor: 05/10/2000
BC ID BC/A/1092 | LPA Regulated
AZRIL MOHD AMIN has an honours degree in law (LLB) from the Ahmad Ibrahim Kuliyyah of Laws, International Islamic University, Malaysia and was a Chevening scholar whilst reading MA in Human Rights at the Institute of Commonwealth Studies, School of Advanced Study, University of London (2004-2005). He was admitted to the Malaysian Bar as an advocate and solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2000 and has been practising law ever since. He has over a decade of experience in law and human rights for the Asia-Pacific region.
He is one of the founding members and trustees of the Islamic and Strategic Studies Institute (ISSI), one of the founding directors of Himpunan Keilmuwan Muslim (HAKIM) since 2012, Panel Member of the Islamic Consultative Council (2016-2018) chaired by YAB Deputy Prime Minister, Malaysia and chairman of Human Rights Cluster of Majlis Amal Islami (under the Islamic Da’wah Foundation of Malaysia) since 2014.
His involvement with civil society accelerated in 2013 when he founded and led the MuslimUPRo delegation, a coalition of 16 major Islamic non-governmental organisations (NGI), to Malaysia’s 2nd Universal Periodic Review at the 25th session of the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva, Switzerland.
In 2014, he founded and became the chief executive of CENTHRA (Centre for Human Rights Research and Advocacy) a full-fledged research and advocacy outfit focusing on issues of Islam and Human Rights. He had since spend much of his time managing projects and establishing triadic relationships for CENTHRA, domestically and internationally.
He has spoken at several international conferences, notably at the Reykavik Roundtable on Human Rights 2016 on the theme “Democratic Accountability, State Sovereignty, and International Governance” in Reykavik (27-29 April 2016), One day Conference: Myanmar’s Democratic Transition and the Rohingya Persecution hosted by The South Asia Research Cluster (SARC) at Oxford University (11 May 2016), UK.
He recently led a 6-member delegation of investigative lawyers to present expert views at the Permanent Peoples’ Tribunal on Genocide Against Rohingya, Kachin and other minorities held at the University of Queen Mary, London (6-7 March 2017).
He also writes a personal blog which is focused mainly on Islam and human rights issues.
Qualifications/ Professional affiliations
- Post-Graduate Training in Economic, Social & Cultural Rights – Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights, The Graduate Institute Geneva & Faculte De Droit, Université de Genève (2014);
- Procedural Training – Universal Periodic Review Mechanism by the Geneva International Centre for Justice, Geneva, Switzerland (2014);
- Associate, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London, United Kingdom (since 2013) (Membership No. 30236);
- Accredited Mediator, having successfully completed the relevant approved qualification with The Accord Group, Sydney, Australia (2013);
- Recipient of the Chevening Scholarship whilst reading MA in Human Rights at the Institute of Commonwealth Studies, University of London (2004-2005);
- Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur (Date of Admission: 5th Oct. 2000) (Malaysian Bar Membership No. BC/A/1092);
- Legum Baccalaureus (LL.B) (with Honors), Ahmad Ibrahim Kuliyyah of Laws, International Islāmic University Malaysia (1999).
Ahli Mangku Negara (AMN) (Member of the Order of the Defender of the Realm) by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong al-Wathiqu Billah Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin Ibni Al- Marhum Sultan Mahmud Al-Muktafi Billah Shah, in conjunction with his majesty’s official birthday on 4th of June 2011;
Azril is a loving and devoted father of four.